Transnet Freight Rail (TFR) would like to warn the public about fraudulent requests for proposals and quotations that are being sent using the TFR logo, signature and names of employees within TFR.
The fraudulent requests are sent via email to suppliers requesting them to send quotations or to deliver goods. After the submission of a quote by a supplier, communication is then sent to such a supplier, that the quote has been accepted and delivery may take place or goods will be collected from the premises of the supplier.
TFR would like to caution that no Transnet employee other than a procurement official is allowed to manage a procurement process, including a member of the Transnet Board of Directors, an Executive Leadership Team or a Company Secretary, do not have the authority to manage a procurement process.
It is important to note that TFR does not have its own database of prospective suppliers. It makes use of National Treasury’s Central Supplier Database (CSD). When Transnet needs to procure goods, services or works, it does so through an open tender process or calls for quotes using its website as well as details of suppliers on the CSD.
The open tender process is primarily used for transactions that are over R2 million and TFR normally approaches at least three (3) suppliers to quote as per the requirements for transactions less than R2 million. In order to access Transnet’s open tenders, one can access National Treasury’s eTender Publication Portal by going to www.etender.gov.za.
Transnet Freight Rail also place their requests for quotes on their internet site:
BELOW IS A GUIDELINE ON HOW TO SPOT SOME OF THE SCAMS:
- Transnet Freight Rail will never request quotations using a Gmail, yahoo mail, webmail account, etc. (it should always be ……@transnet.net);
- Examples of fraudulent email addresses, include but are not limited to:
- Fraud linked Bank Account Details include:
Account Name : Transnet Freight Rail Account
Standard Bank Account number : 203158598
Branch code : 004805
- TFR does not issue an invitation using the name of a Board member, Executive or the Company Secretary;
- TFR does not use pictures or identity documents of its employees when requesting quotations or tenders;
- TFR does not use any ordered items and always insists that suppliers deliver to a TFR site (with TFR’s signage);
- TFR only accepts quotations and tenders from suppliers that are registered on CSD; and
- After receiving a request to submit a quotation or a tender, suppliers are encouraged to verify the authenticity of such requests with the following people:
Prudence Nkabinde : 011 584 0821
Anthonie Erasmus : 011 584 9231
Lerato Morailane : 011 584 9230
or send an email to the TFR Supply Chain Management: SCSManagement@transnet.net.
TFR invite anyone who may be aware of such scams to call their anonymous toll free fraud hotline number 0800 003 056 or email Trasnet@tip-offs.com